23.7.08

70's and easy, that's the way ahuh, ahuh I like it!


I'm sitting here with my nuggets just catching up on my lovely friends in the blogging world, listening to the 70's on XM. Sometimes you need a break from the
80's. Not very often though.

I have been a terrible blogger as of lately. I'm sorry. My summer has been chuck full o' busy-ness. Never in my whole life have I ever wanted summer to end, but this year I'm ready for it to be done! That makes me sad. Life happens and it is what it is. But I haven't started smoking again. That's good.

So, for the record, I used to not be much of a cook. Ask Kate. My family even made fun of my failures to boil water. But now, I cook almost every night! Not to toot my own horn, but it's better than edible! I've been practicin. Now I like to give credit where credit is due, and I found this in The Hungry Girl's Cookbook. If you are watching calories, like ME, it's a good one to have. She has a website too, but I don't know how to link all that crap together. Maybe one day my very smart sister will teach me how to do all that stuff. Then I will forget and have to call her 15 times, and I will cry cuz I can't get it to work. Until then, here is the address:
www.hungry-girl.com. Lots of yummy things to check out! Go there quickly!! But make this first!

This is my version of Southwest Surprise. I call it Dumpa, Dumpa, Dumpa like Cupa, Cupa, Cupa from Steel Magnolias, and basically you just dump in cans and packets of stuff. Did I say easy? Well I am now!

Dumpa, Dumpa, Dumpa
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 can pinto beans, rinsed
2 cans black beans, rinsed
3 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added if available
1 can diced Italian tomatoes
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet taco seasoning mix
2 cans mexicorn, or frozen I don't care

Brown meat with onions and garlic in a big pot. Add tomatoes, beans, corn and packets. Not the packets themselves, but the contents inside. I only clarify cuz the old me would have questioned this step. Simmer for 15 mins. Let sit for 5 mins. before serving. You can top it with cheese and sour cream. You could use fat free sour cream and cheese, but why would you want to? Guess that explains why my fat ass is still fat, don't it?!

Now you won't see alota recipes on this here blog, but I will share ones that are delicious and easy. We don't want to be stuck in the kitchen, there are men that need kissin and babies that need lovin, and someone in the lot always needs clean socks! So get to it!

4 comments:

Janice said...

That's how I make most of my recipes. Just put some stuff in there. Cobby HATES that. ha ha!

Katie said...

That sounds tasty. I'm going to make that. I'm glad to hear you're gettin' better at cooking. HP must be a happy man!!!

Anjie said...

Yumma, Yumma, Yumma! I think I will make this one night when my DH that hates beans will bw working late. Thanks!

Katie said...

I made this for dinner and it was so easy and yummy. Except I had to subsitute Great Northern Beans for the Pintos and Rotel tomatoes for the Italian tomatoes, but it was good. Like super easy chili!