2.5.08

TGIF!!!! Music by Donna Summer


Yes friends an neighboors, it's the ever beloved Friday! Yippee! I once had a guy come into the coffee shop that I worked at, and he yelled,"Happy f@&kin Friday!" That sums it all up for me. Some weekends are a long time coming. And some drinks aren't strong enough. Ya know what I mean? I know you do.


Fridays make me happy and rejuvinated! And that happy and rejuvinated me listens to disco! It reminds me of being young and having a dream of being a Solid Gold Dancer! Before becoming a teenage mother. But that is a another story for another time. Today is for dancing! For those of you that don't remember Solid Gold, or are too dang young to even know about this sparkley, varity show, it was the best thing on television!! It was the late 70's begining 80's, and every Sunday night, I'd park my booty right in front of the big cabinted, console TV in our living room, sitting on our semi-shag, rust colored carpeting. Ahhhh, the memories........it's like I'm still there! Anyway, it was a varity show, with Dionne Warwick, and later, with my personal favorite, Andy Gibb (my lover), and Marilyn MaCoo. There was singing and comedy and DANCING! Ohhhh, the dancing! Every week they would count down the top 10 songs, and to my delight, each song was dramaticly danced to by the Solid Gold Dancers! They also had the most amazing costumes, all shiny and glittery and.......tiny. I used to picture myself up there on that stage, dancing to "All Out of Love", by Air Supply. And later Andy (Gibb) would tell me how great I was, and did I have any plans for later?! Ahhhhhhh......... heavy sigh........................We used to say that in high school. I'm not sure what it means, but it was totally bitchin!


So, that was my dream. Back when kissing was enough and my biggest tragedy was having my hair not "go right". But I still have the music, and I love it! My dreams of dancing may be over, and it's probably for the best, (I'm not very co-ordinated, along with bad spelling and I didn't major math! ), but I DO have car dancing! I love to car dance! Kate, my beautiful sister, loves to car dance too! We car dance whenever we can, whenever we're together! I also get to dance around my house, much to my man-babies dismay. I have be asked on more than one occasion to "never do that again, please". To that I say, NO! I just wanna dance!! Dance my ass off!


Fridays rock! I feel like a whole new me! Or maybe, I feel like the old me, the young me...........with a dance to go to. Even if it is in the car, on the way home from work. And sometimes that's almost as good as a shiny, gold lame outfit.


Music for this memory was provided by:

KC and the Sunshine Band

The Bee Gees

Peaches and Herb

Diana Ross

Donna Summer

Lipps Inc.

The Gap Band

Pablo Cruise

Andy Gibb (my lover)


And countless others!



P.S. I just found out that Chaka Kahan and I share the same birthday! It's a sign!




3 comments:

Janice said...

I love Friday's too. Especially after swim lessons...margarita time. Bottoms up! Happy Friday!

Katie said...

1. I so remember Solid Gold and even though I was not a teenager, I, too, had dreams of being one of those dancers in a glittery gold costume.
2. Car Dancing ROCKS!
3. Okay, so I can just TOTALLY hear BOTH of the boys telling you to "never do that again." That just made my evening. I miss them much.

Anjie said...

I don't remember watching Solid Gold, but I do know what kind of TV show it was. Can't say I wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer, but I do remember wanting to sing on any number of TV shows and become as famous as "Tiffany!"